Map scaling

This area is dedicated to our foreign guests of this forum. Contributions can be written in any language.
[Diese Kategorie ist den ausländischen Gästen dieses Forums gewidmet. Beiträge können in beliebiger Sprache verfasst werden.]
Antworten
DW
Map scaling

Beitrag von DW »

Does anyone know whether the 90 upper limit on tiles per km is a hard limit, or if it can be changed easily? My new 3.84 Isle of Man is only 60km square and I would like to use 400 to get each tile down to about the real size of the roads. That way the map can be accurate, using the OS Landranger 1:50,000 as a basis.

My work-round is to use 40 in the system, but 400 in the mapping, but then all the distances, kph, etc are wrong by a factor of 10.
Christopher Spies

Re: Map scaling

Beitrag von Christopher Spies »

90 tiles per km is a hard limit within BAHN. Only Jan Bochmann knows whether it would be easy to change that.

Also, at 90 tiles per km, most vehicles are much too short (the standard scale is 64 tiles per km). I guess that for BAHN v3.84, you will have to live with a compromise.

Although tracks and roads may be too wide, buildings are more narrow than in reality. If the cities grow larger than they should, you can still save some space in the landscape in between cities. In the end, the effects might cancel out.

I myself get along quite well with the standard scale of 64 elements per km -- although my layout is based on real maps. But then, I don't care if the number of houses in between parallel roads is correct.

Regards,
- Christopher
DW

Beitrag von DW »

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Although tracks and roads may be too wide, buildings are more narrow than in reality. If the cities grow larger than they should, you can still save some space in the landscape in between cities. In the end, the effects might cancel out.</tr></td></table>I am not worried about buildings. The problem is that even at 90 tiles/km a four lane road is 150ft wide and I can't get all the 2 lane roads in as they are too close together.
Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

Hello,

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">90 tiles per km is a hard limit within BAHN. </tr></td></table>

Yes. I cannot say quickly if this could be enlarged. This depends on many calculations inside the software that should not override the 32bit-integer ranges.

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Also, at 90 tiles per km, most vehicles are much too short (the standard scale is 64 tiles per km). I guess that for BAHN v3.84, you will have to live with a compromise.

Although tracks and roads may be too wide, buildings are more narrow than in reality. If the cities grow larger than they should, you can still save some space in the landscape in between cities. In the end, the effects might cancel out.</tr></td></table>

I agree. It is all a compromise...

Regards,
Jan B.
Antworten