BAHN 3.84 Beta6 - Problems (edit no.6/ext no.9)

This area is dedicated to our foreign guests of this forum. Contributions can be written in any language.
[Diese Kategorie ist den ausländischen Gästen dieses Forums gewidmet. Beiträge können in beliebiger Sprache verfasst werden.]
Antworten
Jan Bochmann
BAHN 3.84 Beta6 - Problems (edit no.6/ext no.9)

Beitrag von Jan Bochmann »

Hello,

Already known problems in BAHN 3.84 Beta6:

1. Status window: The scrollbar for changing the level is misplaced (only when "wide" Status window is set)

Workaround:

1.1 Set "Window"-"Narrow Status window"

or

1.2 Call "Window"-"Arrange Windows"

2. Program crashes in screen scale 1:32 or smaller when the currently displayed level is empty

Workaround:

Build a "dummy" graphic element into each level. One element per level is enough.

3. After loading a layout of former versions: Trains in coupling status look a bit crazy at the last vehicle
3a. The same for trains that turned and never moved since turning
3b. It is impossible to couple another train to trains of 3.

Workaround:

Unknown. In some case you may move the train manually by one element and set couple status again.

4. Coupling does not work to trains that stand in coupling status on a curve

Workaround:

Manually move the train to a straight section, temporary rebuilt of lines

5. At stopping points (stations) some trains are waiting too long. In result, timetables do not work properly.

Workaround:

Unknown. (Do not try to change the timetables until the problem will be solved)

6. If option "Block counting days of week" is set, the program crashes.

More exactly: If there exists a timing point in the layout that has no departure time for the current day but for other days. For

example: There is a timing point with data for Mon-Fri but empty tables for Sat+Sun, and the current day is Sunday.

Workaround:

Clear the option at "Options"-"Set time", or use it only on days when data are available at all timing points, i.e. set another day

of week.

EDIT: The same is with signal systems that have a time list.

7. (English version only)
Help system is incomplete and contains some broken links.

Workaround:

No. (Wait for update)

8. Help system does not work with Linux.

AFAIK (from Google...) the CHM help is currently not supported by Linux (i.e. by Wine). However, there exist many tools for reading

CHM files or for extracting the single HTML files from these.

9. Log-points ignore some arriving trains.

...especially when coming from curves.

Workaround: Activate ALL directions at the log point.

Grtx
Jan B.
Zuletzt geändert von Jan Bochmann am Dienstag 6. März 2007, 09:31, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Blöky

Re: BAHN 3.84 Beta6 - Problems (edit no.6/ext no.9)

Beitrag von Blöky »

Jan, thanks for description of mistakes!

+1 bug (or not bug indeed [img]icon_question.gif[/img] ): on converting layouts of older versions (also 3.83 and 3.84ßx) then tunnels aren't always generated correctly.

Well, they "decrease" to level -2 or more deep, if there is place for a plus ramp, but they don't it when - e.g. in opposite order - there isn't.

I've thought about a solution, when the converted tunnels simply should cross each other (all on level -1), but what to do, when a ramp itself is in the path of another tunnel?

I'd like to suggest a warning message: "Converting tunnels not succesful at (x, y) location" or similar.

The best regards
Gábor Ökrös
Zuletzt geändert von Blöky am Montag 5. März 2007, 15:21, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
-by-
Jan Bochmann

Hello,

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Jan, thanks for description of mistakes!

+1 bug (or not bug indeed [img]icon_question.gif[/img] ): on converting layouts of older versions (also 3.83 and 3.84ßx) then tunnels aren't always generated correctly.
</tr></td></table>

This is not a bug. The new technique is not 100% compatible with the old one.

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Well, they "decrease" to level -2 or more deep, if there is place for a plus ramp, but they don't it when - e.g. in opposite order - there isn't.

I've thought about a solution, when the converted tunnels simply should cross each other (all on level -1),
</tr></td></table>

This is not a general solution:

1. The lines may consist of different driving way. There is no crossing element for track/road and water way.

2. A crossing can be driven by 1 train only at the same moment. The old tunnels crossed independent at this place.

2a. What to do if exactly in the moment when converting, there are more than 1 trains?

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
but what to do, when a ramp itself is in the path of another tunnel?
</tr></td></table>

Rebuild manually. Sometimes it helps to redirect the lower line by 1 or 2 elements. We have curves in tunnels now...

I'd like to suggest a warning message: "Converting tunnels not succesful at (x, y) location" or similar.
</tr></td></table>

"Similar" is already existing (warning #296). But it tells the summary of problems only. I found layouts with more than 6000 tunnels and 80 problems. That is 1.33% only, however, would you really like to confirm 80 messages? When running the layout, the trains will tell you the problems as dispatcher messages.

The best regards
Jan B.
Blöky

Beitrag von Blöky »

"Similar" is already existing (warning #296). But it tells the summary of problems only. I found layouts with more than 6000 tunnels and 80 problems.
That is 1.33% only, however, would you really like to confirm 80 messages?
</tr></td></table>
This is why...
When running the layout, the trains will tell you the problems as dispatcher messages.</tr></td></table>

...I thought these:
If a problem is covered by a dispatcher message, sometimes it is too late to correct the layout (when the train is in the tunnel mouth already). Erm, it's possible to reload and fix... if no changes since the conversion [img]icon_confused.gif[/img]
Would it be able to write these messages to a textfile? Then the user could work out it step by step.

bye
Gábor
-by-
Sander Fondse

Beitrag von Sander Fondse »

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Would it be able to write these messages to a textfile? Then the user could work out it step by step. </tr></td></table>
Yes it can,

Use F11 wenn you want to start testing and press F11 again wenn you want to stop testing. All the errors and warnings will be writen in a textfile bahn_log** which will be made in the map C: (or D: wherever you have installed Bahn. This can be edited (I need to look it up))
Bahn, immer etwas zu tun. Und ohne Verspätungen, wie die NS.
micha88

Beitrag von micha88 »

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote"><table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Would it be able to write these messages to a textfile? Then the user could work out it step by step. </tr></td></table>
Yes it can,

Use F11 wenn you want to start testing and press F11 again wenn you want to stop testing. All the errors and warnings will be writen in a textfile bahn_log** which will be made in the map C: (or D: wherever you have installed Bahn. This can be edited (I need to look it up))</tr></td></table>I think, he means, that the problems occuring during the conversion should be written to a file...
Bild
Jan Bochmann

Good morning,

...I thought these:
If a problem is covered by a dispatcher message, sometimes it is too late to correct the layout (when the train is in the tunnel mouth already). Erm, it's possible to reload and fix... if no changes since the conversion [img]icon_confused.gif[/img]
Would it be able to write these messages to a textfile? Then the user could work out it step by step.
</tr></td></table>

A textfile is a bit complicated because I don't like to handle two open files the same time. However, it will be written as text data into the clipboard. From there, you may paste the data wherever you like (e.g. to a text file or to a local info text in your layout, if there is enough space).

bye
Jan B.
benkda01

Beitrag von benkda01 »

@Blöky:

á, még egy magyar! [img]icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Blöky

Beitrag von Blöky »

Ah, a brother-in-law [img]icon_lol.gif[/img]
-by-
Blöky

Beitrag von Blöky »

Dear Jan,

I'd like to ask you to repeat your answer(s) written in the "Fehlermeldung bei Beta6a-Start nach Win-Update" topic - in English.

Thanks

Gábor
-by-
Jan Bochmann

Hello,

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Dear Jan,

I'd like to ask you to repeat your answer(s) written in the "Fehlermeldung bei Beta6a-Start nach Win-Update" topic - in English.

Thanks

Gábor</tr></td></table>

The reason is the "security upgrade" of MS from April-03. They published something wrong. Since then, many software of many manufacturers shows this error. That does not depend on BAHN. The vendor of "user32.dll" and "hhctrl.ocx" is Microsoft self.

Solution:

1. Turn back the last recent upgrade (of April-3rd).

or

2. Since April-04 there is a "patch of the patch" available of MS' website. Install it additionally. See info below.

AFAIK, the 2nd way does not work in all situations, especially on non-US installations. So I recommend first to do the 1st step and then install the upgrade again. Since April-04 evening there is a corrected patch available at same place with the same name and same number.

I hope I could help - otherwise, please contact MS. They take the money for Windows, and in result they should fix their bugs themselves.

More info:

This patch should fix a problem of Windows that corresponds with animated mouse cursors. BAHN does not use such cursors (AFAIK, in Win98 they did not exist yet).

German Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/DE/

Others (English):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/EN-US/

With kind regards
Jan B.
Zuletzt geändert von Jan Bochmann am Mittwoch 11. April 2007, 14:56, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Blöky

Beitrag von Blöky »

Good evening!

1. Turn back the last recent upgrade (of April-3rd).

</tr></td></table>

Removing "refreshment" of 4th April solved the problem. [img]icon_lol.gif[/img]

Thank you!
-by-
Trix

Beitrag von Trix »

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> <td><span class="genmed">Zitat:</span></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Hello,

Already known problems in BAHN 3.84 Beta6:</tr></td></table>Another one:

10. Problem by renumbering double crossing 45° turnouts
It seems that renumbering such kind of turnout does not work properly, especially from the newly added button. Sometimes one of the 4 sections (the 4th usually) is left behind as the turnout is renumbered. Even if you delete the turnout, a ghost turnout with the old number (e.g. 700d) is registered to that position, although there's nothing seen there.

Workaround:
Not sure if would always work (my ghost number is the lowest free number and I use classes of numbers for different track types, that's why I could easily trace it)
Put a double crossing 45° turnout at the same place as the ghost one is. If it does automatically get the ghost number, then delete the turnout again, otherwise I don't know how to handle this. It seems to happen on bigger networks.
To check if you have left some garbage behind, take a look to your turnouts list. If some multiple turnouts have missing parts, they have a problem.
NoticeThis error is what I found after deleting, adding and renumbering a bigger amount of turnouts in a bigger network. It may be very unlikely for this error to be seen.

I hope this would be useful.
Zuletzt geändert von Trix am Freitag 13. April 2007, 20:52, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Antworten